The seventeenth film installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is underway. A sequel to Thor (2011) and Thor: The Dark World (2013), Thor: Ragnarok (2017) is one of the most awaited films this year.
As Marvel proceeds to release trailers, posters and snippets of new Thor-material, the hysteria surrounding this movie continues to mount. And from the looks of it, we are on track to get all that we expect in a Marvel movie – humour, suspense and unadulterated action.
1. For fans, the scene of Thor going up against the Incredible Hulk in a gladiatorial clash is gunning to be the highlight of the movie – as a grinning Grandmaster, played by Jeff Goldblum, gleefully looks on.
2. In addition to this highly anticipated titanic battle, there are further forces on hand. To begin with, there are two notoriously powerful women at the helm of things. While Cate Blanchett plays the humongously powerful Hela, Tessa Thompson essays the sword-wielding Asgardian warrior Valkyrie in the movie. Hela, who was once banished from Asgard, returns to reclaim what she believes is rightfully hers. She’s been pushed so far into the darkness that her strength is now coupled with rage. And it would take the entire might of all the allies in the world to go up against her.
3. There also appears to be a surprise alliance between Thor and Loki in the movie. But knowing Loki, we will have to wait and watch how that one pans out.
4. Another crucial development is that the Hulk can talk. No, not just mutter a few words like we’ve seen before. He can actually pull through a sentence and hold a conversation.
5. Thor: Ragnarok is directed by Taika Waititi and foresees Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddelston reprise their respective roles of Thor, Hulk and Loki in the movie. Additionally, we also get to see the characters of Odin (Sir Anthony Hopkins), Heimdall (Idris Elba) and of course we can’t wait for this one – Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch).
Thor: Ragnarok releases on November 3 and we are already super-psyched about it.
– Varun Kumar | Enterapped